When it comes to connecting information workers with the information they need to do their jobs, Microsoft SharePoint 2010 has two options, both of which provide a highly personalized, efficient, and effective search experience for end-users, IT professionals, and developers alike.
Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 delivers out of the box functionality that enables intranet search, people search, and the ability to build search-driven applications. Through a variety of tools, it enables users to find content faster, connect with others, and customize their search experience. This is accomplished through:
- A connector framework that enables the crawler to index files, metadata, and other types of data from various types of content repositories
- An indexing engine that stores the crawled data in an efficient manner in index files and provides query servers, query object models, and user interfaces for performing searches on the indexed data
- Powerful relevance ranking features that are designed to provide relevant results for searches over enterprise content and data
FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint encompasses and enhances all of the enterprise search features and functionality available in SharePoint Server 2010, as well as going beyond those capabilities to provide an enhanced enterprise search experience. Some of these enhanced capabilities include:
- Visual search capabilities that provide an engaging, useful, and efficient way for information workers to interact with search results
- Conversational search capabilities that provide ways for information workers to interact with and refine their search results, so that they can quickly find the information they require
- Contextual search capabilities that allow you to associate Best Bets, Visual Best Bets, document promotions, document demotions, site promotions, and site demotions with defined user contexts in order to personalize the experience for information workers
- Social search provides a people search center which provides specific capabilities for connecting with people
To help you decide which search solution is the right fit for your organization, download the evaluation guides for SharePoint Server 2010 and FAST Search Server 2010.
By Socius, a SharePoint partner in Ohio, Kansas City, and California